Local News
BVI Government Lagging Behind In Implementing Commission of Inquiry (CoI) Recommendations, Says Governor John Rankin
British Virgin Islands Governor John Rankin today pointed out that the government is substantially lagging behind in implementing many of the 2021 Commission of Inquiry (CoI) recommendations more than a year after the National Unity Government publicly promised to expedite them to avoid a two- year constitutional suspension.
In his third Quarterly Review under the provisions of the ‘Framework for the Implementation of the Recommendations of the Commission of Inquiry (COI) Report and Other Reforms’ (Framework Agreement) for the period of February 1 to April 30, Governor Rankin candidly addressed several areas of concern, from government devoting more resources for the Royal Virgin Islands Police Force to conduct investigations outlined in the (CoI), to a lack of commitment in clearing the current large backlog of Residency and Belonger status applications.
“There are two areas that the BVI Government urgently needs to devote more resources to in order to meet commitments made in the Framework Agreement. First, it is vital that police investigations carried out in line with the COI Report recommendations and in response to audits are completed thoroughly and as swiftly as possible so that those who may have broken the law are held to account. The Royal Virgin Islands Police Force must have sufficient capacity to conduct COI related investigations in a robust and timely way,” the report stated.
Regarding the backlog of Residency and Belonger status applications, Rankin stressed that “there has been very limited work carried out to date to clear the large backlog of Residency and Belonger status applications, and this means that the Government is so far failing in its commitment to apply the ‘ten-year requirement for residency’ law in many cases.”
He further explained that he has discussed both concerns with Premier Natalio Wheatley who made a further commitment to provide the RVIPF with the “necessary resources by July 2023” and to implement “an early action plan to clear the backlog of applications.”
“I welcome the continued commitment to reform made by Hon. Dr. Natalio D. Wheatley in the opening days of his new Premiership. The Premier was clear that now is the time to re-energise the reform process and swiftly move forwards with the implementation of the remaining elements of COI recommendations. I look forward to working closely with the new and returning Ministers to ensure the delivery of the wide-ranging programme of reforms together,” the Governor said.
He added that there have been positive steps since the formation of the May 2022 National Unity Government following the release of the CoI recommendations, which included the suspension of the territory’s constitution for two years due to corruption at all levels of government.
“There have been some positive steps, albeit some in their infancy, over recent months. I am pleased that the Protocol for Statutory Board Appointments has now been agreed and is starting to be applied. I am grateful to the Deputy Governor’s Office for finalising the Public Service Management Code after consultation. I am pleased to report that His Majesty’s Inspectorate of Constabulary and Fire and Rescue Services have now completed their work in another jurisdiction, and hence were able to visit the BVI in May to begin the law enforcement review.
He also noted that he is “encouraged by the increased use of open procurement” and reiterated that “single source procurement must be the exception rather than the norm. Indeed the Public Procurement Act 2021 expressly states that single source procurement can only be used in specific exceptional circumstances. It is also important that Ministries carry out timely procurement to ensure that good value and good governance is achieved, and that the making of retrospective payments is avoided.”
At the swearing-in ceremony on May 6 last year, Premier Wheatley publicly stated that he was committed to implementing the reforms and working with the governor.
“Let me state unequivocally that the national unity government is fully committed to reform. For the avoidance of doubt, I want to be perfectly clear: Our top priority is the implementation of the recommendations of the Commission of Inquiry report within a framework of democratic governance, and in close cooperation with the governor and United Kingdom, our partners” the Premier said a year ago.
Wheatley returned to office as the leader of the Virgin Islands Party in April this year. He has less than one more year to implement the recommendations in order for the Order in Council – the constitutional suspension threat – to be lifted.
Governor Rankin noted that he delayed the release of the review due to the April 24 general elections, and stressed that “I will continue to work diligently towards ensuring that the necessary reforms have “taken root” by no later than May 2024, which should allow the Order in Council to be lifted then. I will continue to consider whether there is anything more that I need to do to support and/or accelerate the reform programme, including exploring additional resources or seeking a grant of additional powers.
He added that the working relationship with the Premier remains constructive.
“I believe that the working relationship between myself and the Premier remains constructive. I am extremely keen that there is no ambiguity around how reforms must be taken forward and what success looks like,” the Governor said.
Local News
Rising Costs Will Intensify, Skelton Cline Warns as He Suggests Emergency Measures

Entertainment
64 Nominees Announced for 2026 Virgin Islands Icon Awards
The Virgin Islands Icon Awards has announced 64 nominees across 13 categories for its 2026 ceremony, recognizing individuals and organizations for contributions in fields including sports, entrepreneurship, media, music, agriculture and public service, founder and executive producer Kareem Nelson Hull said.
The Virgin Islands Icon Awards was established to recognize individuals and organizations that have made significant contributions to the social, cultural and economic development of the Territory.

Health
BVI Monitors Cruise Ship Hantavirus Outbreak; Health Minister Says Local Risk Remains Low
The Ministry of Health and Social Development is monitoring an outbreak of hantavirus linked to the cruise ship MV Hondius that has resulted in several confirmed cases and three deaths, but Honourable Vincent O. Wheatley, Minister for Health and Social Development, and Dr. Ronald Georges, Chief Medical Officer, said Monday that the risk to the Virgin Islands remains low.
The ministry said the reported cases involve passengers and crew aboard the Dutch expedition vessel, which was operating outside the Caribbean region. Health officials said there is no evidence of any cases in the Virgin Islands or elsewhere in the Caribbean.
Honourable Wheatley said the ministry is working with regional and international partners, including the Caribbean Public Health Agency (CARPHA), to monitor the situation and strengthen surveillance systems.
“At this time, the risk to the Caribbean, including the Virgin Islands, is considered low,” Dr. Georges said. “We are utilizing enhanced surveillance systems and maintaining routine port health inspections and preparedness protocols to ensure the continued protection of public health.”
Hantavirus is a rare but potentially serious disease that is primarily transmitted through contact with infected rodents or their droppings, urine or saliva. Human-to-human transmission is extremely uncommon.
The ministry said the rodent species typically associated with the virus are not commonly found in Caribbean environments, further reducing the likelihood of local transmission.
Residents are advised to avoid contact with rodents and areas where they may be present, safely clean and disinfect areas contaminated by rodent waste, maintain proper sanitation and waste disposal, and seek medical attention if they experience symptoms such as fever or respiratory distress.
Early symptoms of hantavirus can resemble the flu but may progress to more serious respiratory complications if not treated promptly.
“We will continue to work closely with regional and international partners to ensure that any potential risks are identified early and managed effectively,” Dr. Georges said. “Protecting the health and safety of our residents remains our top priority.”
The Ministry of Health and Social Development said it will continue to monitor the situation and provide updates as necessary.
-
Local News11 hours agoEast Winds Take Top Spot in BVIFA Under-14 Youth League After Week 3
-
Crime/Police10 hours agoSmall Brent” Wanted in VI Murder Case Now Named in Sint Maarten Double Homicide Probe
-
Health10 hours agoBVI Monitors Cruise Ship Hantavirus Outbreak; Health Minister Says Local Risk Remains Low
-
Local News11 hours agoMan Seriously Injured in Two-Vehicle Crash at Sea Cows Bay
-
Entertainment10 hours ago64 Nominees Announced for 2026 Virgin Islands Icon Awards
-
Education11 hours agoTVET Week 2026 Highlights Skills Training as Key to BVI’s Future
-
Local News11 hours agoWinston Bolus League Opens With Wins for Relentless and Run It Up
-
Local News11 hours agoNick Spizzirri Wins EMCs Tortola Classics Title After Five-Game Final












