Crime/Police
“Put down your guns!” — Premier Wheatley after Yan Edwards murder
By MERRICK ANDREWS
Online News Editor
Premier and Seventh District Representative, Natalio Wheatley, has urged persons to resolve conflicts without using guns and violence in light of Monday’s murder of a resident of his constituency, Yan Edwards.
Wheatley, in a post on his official Facebook page, said he was “saddened to learn of yet another murder in our community”.
He expressed “sincere condolences” to the family and friends of the deceased.
“We must end this cycle of violence! I am appealing to those who resolve conflict through violence to put down your guns. Violence only breeds more violence and more crying mothers and mourning families.
“Let’s do all we can to end this cycle of violence in our communities and let’s pray for the healing of our lands,” the premier concluded.
According to reports, Edwards (in photo below), 42, of Long Look, was seated at a popular bar in the eastern community when an assailant or assailants fired shots in his direction. 
The incident occurred after 6 p.m.
No one else was injured, police said.
Edwards, a former BVI fire officer, is no stranger to the law.
He along with Allen Baptiste were both sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole in 2013 for the death of Keri Harrigan, who was shot to death in Long Look on March 16, 2011.
However, in 2018, Court of Appeal judges threw out the convictions of both men and ordered a retrial.
On December 2, 2013 Edwards along with Rodney Simmonds Jr. were sentenced to seven years and five years, respectively, after they had been found guilty of conspiring to murder Cornel Melbourne Francis.
At the time, Edwards was serving the life sentence for Harrigan’s murder – a conviction which was eventually squashed.
Edwards reportedly was released on bail last year — awaiting a retrial in the Harrigan case — after trying many times to obtain freedom.
His killing is the first homicide in the territory for 2023.
Crime/Police
Small Brent” Wanted in VI Murder Case Now Named in Sint Maarten Double Homicide Probe
The fugitive known as John Dawn Emmanuel, also identified as Brent Dain Danglade and the alias “Small Brent,” who was first named by the Royal Virgin Islands Police Force (RVIPF) in connection with the May 2025 murder of Nyron Erickson in Tortola, is now also being sought by authorities in Sint Maarten in relation to a separate double homicide investigation.
JTV News will continue following developments in this major regional manhunt.

Crime/Police
Tarik Aaron Arrested on USVI Extradition Warrant
The Royal Virgin Islands Police Force has confirmed that Tarik Aaron was arrested shortly before midnight on Friday, April 17, on extradition orders issued by authorities in the United States Virgin Islands, and has since appeared before the Magistrate’s Court.
According to police, the arrest was carried out in connection with a request from USVI authorities, though further details have not been disclosed.
Further updates are expected as more information becomes available.
Crime/Police
Two Men Arrested in Free Bottom After Police Recover Modified Firearm, Drugs and Ammunition
Dalfree Rodriguez De La Rosa, 22, of Hannah’s Estate, Tortola, and John Harvey, 33, of Purcell Estate, Tortola, were arrested on April 16, after officers of the Royal Virgin Islands Police Force (RVIPF) recovered a modified firearm, cannabis and ammunition during a stop-and-check operation in Free Bottom, police said.
According to the RVIPF, officers on patrol conducted the stop and discovered a Glock pistol, a quantity of cannabis and 13 rounds of .45 caliber ammunition. The firearm was later identified as a prohibited weapon that had been modified for fully automatic fire.
De La Rosa has been charged with possession of a controlled drug with intent to supply, possession of explosives and possession of a prohibited firearm. Harvey has been charged with possession of a controlled drug with intent to supply.
Acting Commissioner Kenrick Davis, speaking on behalf of the Senior Command Team, commended the officers involved in the operation.
“Their continued professionalism, teamwork, and commitment to duty have significantly contributed to the safety and security of our community,” Davis said.
The RVIPF said the operation forms part of ongoing efforts to address illegal firearms and drug-related activity across the Territory.
-
Local News10 hours agoEast Winds Take Top Spot in BVIFA Under-14 Youth League After Week 3
-
Crime/Police10 hours agoSmall Brent” Wanted in VI Murder Case Now Named in Sint Maarten Double Homicide Probe
-
Health10 hours agoBVI Monitors Cruise Ship Hantavirus Outbreak; Health Minister Says Local Risk Remains Low
-
Local News10 hours agoMan Seriously Injured in Two-Vehicle Crash at Sea Cows Bay
-
Entertainment10 hours ago64 Nominees Announced for 2026 Virgin Islands Icon Awards
-
Education10 hours agoTVET Week 2026 Highlights Skills Training as Key to BVI’s Future
-
Local News10 hours agoWinston Bolus League Opens With Wins for Relentless and Run It Up
-
Local News10 hours agoNick Spizzirri Wins EMCs Tortola Classics Title After Five-Game Final












