Local News
Caribbean Juniors Compete at British Junior Open Squash Tournament
Jakob Noblett-Diaz and Delilah Pease, two of the Caribbean’s leading junior squash players, represented the region earlier this month at the British Junior Open (BJO), held from January 2-6 in Birmingham, England.
Widely regarded as the most prestigious junior squash tournament globally, the BJO attracts elite players and serves as the de facto world championship for most junior age categories.
Jakob competed in the Boys U13 category, while Delilah participated in the Girls U11 division. Both players entered the tournament as reigning Caribbean champions, having won their respective titles at the Caribbean Junior Championships hosted at Tortola Sports Club in July 2024. Their preparation also included competing at the Canadian Junior Open in December, where Delilah won her event, and Jakob secured a plate division victory.
At the BJO, Jakob faced stiff competition against players from Canada, Poland, China, and Japan. He managed one victory, defeating Japan’s Kaisei Arita in straight sets, and concluded his debut tournament in 57th place.
Delilah, making her second appearance at the BJO, improved on her previous 28th-place finish. She narrowly lost her opening match against England’s top-ranked player but rebounded to win three of her next four matches, finishing 19th overall.
National Squash Coach Adam Murrills accompanied the players and praised their performances, noting the importance of exposure to such a high level of competition.
“The British Junior Open provided an invaluable learning experience for Jakob and Delilah,” Murrills stated. “Competing against the world’s best players not only highlights areas for improvement but also fosters growth and resilience. Both players adapted well to the challenges they faced and demonstrated improvement throughout the tournament. I am proud of their efforts and look forward to their continued development.”
Match Results:
Delilah Pease (Girls U11)
- Lost to Ada Brown (England) 11-9, 11-2, 12-10
- Defeated Elsie Griffiths (Wales) 11-7, 11-6, 2-11, 11-8
- Defeated Simone Yuen (Canada) 11-7, 11-7, 13-15, 11-3
- Lost to Nalla Sanaei (USA) 11-5, 11-4, 12-14, 11-7
- Defeated Sashana Istritheran (Malaysia) 10-12, 11-5, 17-15, 6-11, 11-7
Jakob Noblett-Diaz (Boys U13)
- Lost to Chase Facchin (Canada) 11-5, 11-2, 11-9
- Lost to Maciej Dziech (Poland) 11-7, 11-3, 5-11, 11-5
- Lost to Ching Yan Tang (China) 11-4, 11-7, 11-8
- Defeated Kaisei Arita (Japan) 11-6, 11-1, 11-3
Both players are now preparing for the upcoming Junior National Championships in February, where they will look to build on their performances at one of the world’s most challenging junior squash tournaments.

ADVERTISEMENT:

Local News
Rising Costs Will Intensify, Skelton Cline Warns as He Suggests Emergency Measures

Entertainment
64 Nominees Announced for 2026 Virgin Islands Icon Awards
The Virgin Islands Icon Awards has announced 64 nominees across 13 categories for its 2026 ceremony, recognizing individuals and organizations for contributions in fields including sports, entrepreneurship, media, music, agriculture and public service, founder and executive producer Kareem Nelson Hull said.
The Virgin Islands Icon Awards was established to recognize individuals and organizations that have made significant contributions to the social, cultural and economic development of the Territory.

Health
BVI Monitors Cruise Ship Hantavirus Outbreak; Health Minister Says Local Risk Remains Low
The Ministry of Health and Social Development is monitoring an outbreak of hantavirus linked to the cruise ship MV Hondius that has resulted in several confirmed cases and three deaths, but Honourable Vincent O. Wheatley, Minister for Health and Social Development, and Dr. Ronald Georges, Chief Medical Officer, said Monday that the risk to the Virgin Islands remains low.
The ministry said the reported cases involve passengers and crew aboard the Dutch expedition vessel, which was operating outside the Caribbean region. Health officials said there is no evidence of any cases in the Virgin Islands or elsewhere in the Caribbean.
Honourable Wheatley said the ministry is working with regional and international partners, including the Caribbean Public Health Agency (CARPHA), to monitor the situation and strengthen surveillance systems.
“At this time, the risk to the Caribbean, including the Virgin Islands, is considered low,” Dr. Georges said. “We are utilizing enhanced surveillance systems and maintaining routine port health inspections and preparedness protocols to ensure the continued protection of public health.”
Hantavirus is a rare but potentially serious disease that is primarily transmitted through contact with infected rodents or their droppings, urine or saliva. Human-to-human transmission is extremely uncommon.
The ministry said the rodent species typically associated with the virus are not commonly found in Caribbean environments, further reducing the likelihood of local transmission.
Residents are advised to avoid contact with rodents and areas where they may be present, safely clean and disinfect areas contaminated by rodent waste, maintain proper sanitation and waste disposal, and seek medical attention if they experience symptoms such as fever or respiratory distress.
Early symptoms of hantavirus can resemble the flu but may progress to more serious respiratory complications if not treated promptly.
“We will continue to work closely with regional and international partners to ensure that any potential risks are identified early and managed effectively,” Dr. Georges said. “Protecting the health and safety of our residents remains our top priority.”
The Ministry of Health and Social Development said it will continue to monitor the situation and provide updates as necessary.
-
Local News11 hours agoEast Winds Take Top Spot in BVIFA Under-14 Youth League After Week 3
-
Crime/Police10 hours agoSmall Brent” Wanted in VI Murder Case Now Named in Sint Maarten Double Homicide Probe
-
Health10 hours agoBVI Monitors Cruise Ship Hantavirus Outbreak; Health Minister Says Local Risk Remains Low
-
Local News11 hours agoMan Seriously Injured in Two-Vehicle Crash at Sea Cows Bay
-
Entertainment10 hours ago64 Nominees Announced for 2026 Virgin Islands Icon Awards
-
Education11 hours agoTVET Week 2026 Highlights Skills Training as Key to BVI’s Future
-
Local News11 hours agoWinston Bolus League Opens With Wins for Relentless and Run It Up
-
Local News11 hours agoNick Spizzirri Wins EMCs Tortola Classics Title After Five-Game Final












