Local News
Lakers Guard D’Moi Hodge Scored Seven Points In Debut Game Against Miami
LA Lakers guard D’Moi Hodge this afternoon scored seven points against Miami Heat in the opening game of the California Classic Summer League 2023.
This was the British Virgin Islands’ guard debut game with the Lakers.
He scored all his points in the first half of the game which was held in the
Golden 1 Center in Sacramento, California.
A dominant Miami had a 40 – 58 lead at the halftime buzzer, and went on to win the game 90 – 107.
Last month, Hodge signed a two-way contract with the Los Angeles Lakers.
The former Missouri Tiger player received well wishes from British Virgin Islanders living across the globe.
Hodge made the roster to play in both the California Classic and NBA 2K24 Summer League.
LA Lakers next game is against San Antonio Spurs on July 5 in the Golden 1 Arena.
The Lakers will then open the NBA 2K24 Summer League in Las Vegas against the Golden State Warriors on July 7 at the Thomas and Mack Centre.
Followed by three additional games at the same venue versus the Hornets on July 9, Celtics on July 12, and Grizzlies on July 14.

Local News
Rising Costs Will Intensify, Skelton Cline Warns as He Suggests Emergency Measures

Entertainment
64 Nominees Announced for 2026 Virgin Islands Icon Awards
The Virgin Islands Icon Awards has announced 64 nominees across 13 categories for its 2026 ceremony, recognizing individuals and organizations for contributions in fields including sports, entrepreneurship, media, music, agriculture and public service, founder and executive producer Kareem Nelson Hull said.
The Virgin Islands Icon Awards was established to recognize individuals and organizations that have made significant contributions to the social, cultural and economic development of the Territory.

Health
BVI Monitors Cruise Ship Hantavirus Outbreak; Health Minister Says Local Risk Remains Low
The Ministry of Health and Social Development is monitoring an outbreak of hantavirus linked to the cruise ship MV Hondius that has resulted in several confirmed cases and three deaths, but Honourable Vincent O. Wheatley, Minister for Health and Social Development, and Dr. Ronald Georges, Chief Medical Officer, said Monday that the risk to the Virgin Islands remains low.
The ministry said the reported cases involve passengers and crew aboard the Dutch expedition vessel, which was operating outside the Caribbean region. Health officials said there is no evidence of any cases in the Virgin Islands or elsewhere in the Caribbean.
Honourable Wheatley said the ministry is working with regional and international partners, including the Caribbean Public Health Agency (CARPHA), to monitor the situation and strengthen surveillance systems.
“At this time, the risk to the Caribbean, including the Virgin Islands, is considered low,” Dr. Georges said. “We are utilizing enhanced surveillance systems and maintaining routine port health inspections and preparedness protocols to ensure the continued protection of public health.”
Hantavirus is a rare but potentially serious disease that is primarily transmitted through contact with infected rodents or their droppings, urine or saliva. Human-to-human transmission is extremely uncommon.
The ministry said the rodent species typically associated with the virus are not commonly found in Caribbean environments, further reducing the likelihood of local transmission.
Residents are advised to avoid contact with rodents and areas where they may be present, safely clean and disinfect areas contaminated by rodent waste, maintain proper sanitation and waste disposal, and seek medical attention if they experience symptoms such as fever or respiratory distress.
Early symptoms of hantavirus can resemble the flu but may progress to more serious respiratory complications if not treated promptly.
“We will continue to work closely with regional and international partners to ensure that any potential risks are identified early and managed effectively,” Dr. Georges said. “Protecting the health and safety of our residents remains our top priority.”
The Ministry of Health and Social Development said it will continue to monitor the situation and provide updates as necessary.
-
Local News12 hours agoEast Winds Take Top Spot in BVIFA Under-14 Youth League After Week 3
-
Crime/Police11 hours agoSmall Brent” Wanted in VI Murder Case Now Named in Sint Maarten Double Homicide Probe
-
Health11 hours agoBVI Monitors Cruise Ship Hantavirus Outbreak; Health Minister Says Local Risk Remains Low
-
Local News11 hours agoMan Seriously Injured in Two-Vehicle Crash at Sea Cows Bay
-
Entertainment11 hours ago64 Nominees Announced for 2026 Virgin Islands Icon Awards
-
Education11 hours agoTVET Week 2026 Highlights Skills Training as Key to BVI’s Future
-
Local News11 hours agoWinston Bolus League Opens With Wins for Relentless and Run It Up
-
Local News11 hours agoNick Spizzirri Wins EMCs Tortola Classics Title After Five-Game Final












