NEWS
Connect with us

International

Death toll surpasses 22,000 despite dramatic rescues

Published

on

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan addresses the media about the earthquake aftermath situation

(ALJAZEERA) — The earthquake death toll in Turkey and Syria has crossed 22,000.

Turkish President Erdogan said Friday death toll in Turkey had risen to 18,991.

The Syrian Civil Defence, or White Helmets, said that at least 2,037 people had died in opposition held areas. At least 1,340 have died in government-controlled areas of Syria, according to officials.

Al Jazeera’s Stefanie Dekker, reporting from the Turkish city of Gaziantep, says it is difficult to capture the scale of the damage.

“Once you’re driving, and you’re passing towns and cities and villages, and you see pretty much everything destroyed along the way. It’s very difficult to comprehend,” Dekker said.

“And the other thing about this tragedy is that entire families have been lost,” she added.

“We were talking to a woman here. She said ‘I have four of my brothers, my mother, my cousins’ and all of her nieces and nephews … all gone in an instant when the building just completely pancaked upon itself.”

The International Organization for Migration (IOM) has said 14 trucks carrying humanitarian aid crossed into northwestern Syria from Turkey.

“These convoys are carrying electric heaters, tents, blankets and other items to assist these people who have been displaced as a result of this catastrophic earthquake,” said spokesperson Paul Dillon, adding that the aid was bound for Idlib.

Opposition-held northwest Syria is home to nearly two million internally displaced refugees.

However, Turkish authorities’ response to the massive earthquakes in the country’s south is not as fast as the government wanted, President Tayyip Erdogan has said.

“So many buildings were damaged that unfortunately, we were not able to speed up our interventions as quickly as we had desired,” Erdogan said during a visit to the hard-hit southern city of Adiyaman.

The statement came a day after Erdogan conceded there had been “shortcomings” in the government’s handling of the disaster.

Erdogan added that some people were robbing markets and targeting businesses in the wake of the attack. He said a state of emergency declared in the hard hit areas would allow the government to quickly penalise those responsible.

International

Wheatley Calls for Stronger Regional Cooperation at Overseas Territories Attorneys General Conference

Published

on

By

Premier Hon. Dr. Natalio D. Wheatley said stronger collaboration among Overseas Territories is essential to addressing shared legal and governance challenges, as he opened the Overseas Territories Attorneys General Conference in the Virgin Islands.

The two-day conference, which began on Tuesday, April 14, brings together Madam Chair, attorneys general and delegates from across the Overseas Territories to examine issues including human rights, transnational crime, illicit finance and sanctions, disaster preparedness and recovery, maritime boundaries, sustainable development and the use of technology in crime and justice systems.

“These are not theoretical concerns,” Premier Wheatley said. “They are real, urgent matters that affect the stability, security, and prosperity of each of our jurisdictions.”

The premier said the conference’s theme, “Stronger Together: Common Challenges, Collaborative Solutions,” reflects the need for coordinated responses to issues that extend across jurisdictions while recognizing differences in legal and constitutional systems.

“While our challenges may be similar and our objectives aligned, our contexts are not identical,” he said. “One-size-fits-all responses rarely succeed. What does succeed is the willingness to learn from one another.”

He said the exchange of experience and expertise among territories can improve legal systems and strengthen collective resilience.

“When we collaborate, we elevate the quality of our legal systems. When we share best practices, we strengthen our collective resilience,” Premier Wheatley said.

The conference will focus on strengthening cooperation and developing practical approaches to common legal and governance issues across participating territories.

Continue Reading

International

U.N. Declares Enslavement of Africans ‘Gravest Crime Against Humanity’ in Vote Backed by Caribbean Nations

Published

on

By

The United Nations General Assembly on March 25 voted 123 to 3 to adopt a resolution declaring the transatlantic enslavement of Africans the “gravest crime against humanity,” a measure strongly backed by the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) and African states, with the United States, Israel and Argentina voting against it.

The resolution, introduced by Ghana with support from CARICOM nations, calls for reparatory justice measures, including formal apologies, the return of cultural artifacts and further discussion on compensation for the descendants of enslaved Africans. Caribbean governments have long advocated for international recognition of the enduring social and economic consequences of slavery, framing the issue as central to regional development.

Several European countries, including the United Kingdom, along with members of the European Union, abstained during the vote, citing concerns about potential legal implications and language that could be interpreted as assigning hierarchy among historical atrocities.

While the resolution is nonbinding, Caribbean leaders and regional organizations have described the outcome as a significant step in advancing global acknowledgment of slavery’s impact and strengthening ongoing calls for reparatory justice. CARICOM has been at the forefront of these efforts through its Reparations Commission, which has outlined a framework seeking redress from former colonial powers.

The United States, which opposed the resolution, raised concerns about applying contemporary legal standards to historical actions and cautioned against measures that could create divisions in the interpretation of crimes against humanity.

The vote coincided with the International Day of Remembrance of the Victims of Slavery and the Transatlantic Slave Trade, underscoring longstanding advocacy by Caribbean and African nations to place the legacy of slavery at the center of international discourse on justice and development.

Continue Reading

International

United States Announces Nicolás Maduro Is Indicted on Drug Trafficking Charges

Published

on

By

The United States has announced that Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro is under indictment on federal drug trafficking and narco-terrorism charges, formally asserting that the Venezuelan leader faces criminal prosecution in U.S. courts.

The announcement, made amid sharply escalating tensions between Washington and Caracas, confirms that Maduro is accused of conspiring to flood the United States with cocaine in coordination with armed groups and corrupt officials. U.S. prosecutors allege that Maduro played a central role in a criminal enterprise that used Venezuela as a key transit hub for narcotics destined for American cities.

According to the Justice Department, the indictment includes charges of narco-terrorism, conspiracy to import cocaine, weapons offenses, and corruption, offenses that carry the possibility of decades in prison or life sentences if proven in court. American officials say the case treats Maduro not as a political actor but as the head of a criminal organization operating beyond the bounds of lawful state authority.
U.S. authorities have long maintained that Maduro’s alleged actions fall outside the protections normally afforded to a sitting head of state, arguing that drug trafficking and narco-terrorism constitute international crimes. The government has also tied the indictment to years of sanctions and diplomatic pressure against Maduro’s administration.
Maduro and his government have repeatedly rejected the charges, calling them fabricated and politically motivated. Venezuelan officials deny U.S. jurisdiction and accuse Washington of using the legal system as a tool for regime change.
The announcement of the indictment comes as Venezuela’s leadership is demanding proof of life for Maduro and his wife following U.S. military action in the country, raising the stakes of what is already one of the most serious confrontations between the two nations in modern history.

The case remains pending in U.S. federal court, with American officials saying the indictment will stand until Maduro appears before a judge.

Continue Reading

Trending