Elections 2023
For PVIM to be a winning team, Skelton said he was told to return as leader

Skelton during the Friday’s PVIM press conference
By MERRICK ANDREWS, Online News Editor
(JTV News) — Chairman of the Progressive Virgin Islands Movement (PVIM), Ronnie W. Skelton has denied he is power hungry, saying that supporters have told him if he doesn’t return as leader of the PVIM, they will not support the party or have any chance of winning in the next General Elections.
Skelton, a former member of the National Democratic Party, announced that he left politics in 2019. As a result, Second District Representative Melvin ‘Mitch’ Turnbull became chairman of the PVIM.
However, Skelton has returned to the party as chairman. Turnbull is now the deputy.
At a PVIM press conference recently, ZBVI Radio’s Zan Lewis grilled Skelton and asked the veteran politician if he does not have confidence in the leadership of Turnbull, especially since he said earlier in the press conference that he is giving young people a chance to grow.
Skelton responded: I have all confidence in Mr. Turnbull. All confidence. It’s a lot more complex than what you’re saying. The people have asked for me to come back and they have asked that if I am not leading, they will not follow PVIM, so because of those things, in order for us to be a winning team. I have to put my personal wishes aside and do what’s good and right for the country. I am here for my country, nothing else. I have no interest in the personal accolades.”
Lewis suggested that Skelton took away the position from Turnbull because he is power-hungry.
“That’s your opinion,” was Skelton’s response.
However, Turnbull responded and backed Skelton.
He said: “The Progress Virgin Islands Movement is a movement, is a group of persons that are interested in one thing which is to fix the country, develop its people, and raise the standard of where we are in this territory. It is true that Honourable Skelton would have left politics in 2019 and I became the chairman but what is important is that this group of persons that you see and a lot of other supporters, we sat around the room, we had discussions and we made the decision that the best person to lead the party and this movement at this time is Ronnie W. Skelton. I became deputy chairman and we have the officers here.”
Earlier in the press conference, in response to a reporter’s question, Skelton said he is supportive of youth leadership.
“Anyone who knows me knows that I always put young people… I need them to help to build the country. I am happy to be at home but the people are calling for some experience and they feel that I have that level of experience in order to assist this country out of the problems that it’s presently in. That’s why I am here, nothing else. I commend my young leader, and all of these people around me. And if you study my history, like you did your research…right? You will know that I hand over things to young people. Because that’s what I believe can help us to build the country. I don’t want to be a bible student but I will be one today. When the Lord turned to… Moses and tell him that he must get the young and the old together: the young for their strength and the old for their wisdom to show the way. That’s all that’s happening here today.”
Elections 2023
Vanterpool Distances Himself from NDP After Leadership Loss, Raises Concerns Over Process
Former House of Assembly member Mark Vanterpool has distanced himself from the National Democratic Party (NDP) following his loss in the party’s April 18 leadership convention, where he was defeated by Marlon A. Penn by a margin of 26 votes.
Vanterpool received 39 votes in the chairmanship race, while Penn secured 65 votes to retain the position. Ronnie W. Skelton, also contesting the post, received 17 votes.
In a letter dated April 9 addressed to the former Interim Chair of the NDP John Cline, Vanterpool questioned the delegate selection process, raising concerns about whether it was conducted in accordance with the party’s constitution. His concerns were outlined in correspondence to party leadership prior to the convention and later became public.
According to Cline, in the days after the vote, Vanterpool took several actions including removing party branding from his campaign vehicle, returning keys to an office he had provided for the party’s use, and criticizing the internal process.

Former interim chairman John Cline rejected the claims during a live Facebook broadcast on April 23, stating that the process followed party rules and that candidates had no role in selecting delegates.
“To suggest there was something unfair at the convention level is irresponsible,” Cline said. “No candidate has any right to select delegates — that is the sole responsibility of the district associations.”
Cline emphasized that the outcome reflected the will of the delegates.
“It’s a competition,” he said. “One hundred and twenty-one persons made a decision, and that decision must be respected.”
Vanterpool’s departure marks the third time he has moved away from the party, underscoring a political career that has included shifts between the NDP and the Virgin Islands Party. He was first elected in 1999 with the NDP before crossing the floor in 2001. He later returned to the NDP, winning a seat in 2011 and serving as Minister for Communications and Works.
Cline referenced that history in his remarks, noting that participation in the process does not guarantee a result.
“You don’t get to pick people like you want,” he said. “It’s a democratic process.”
Vanterpool has not announced his next political move, but his actions following the convention have raised questions about his future role within the NDP and in territorial politics.
The NDP has maintained that the convention was conducted in accordance with its constitution and has indicated that it will now shift focus toward rebuilding and preparing for the next general election.
ADVERTISEMENT:

Elections 2023
Cline Names Pickering Among Leaders as NDP Looks Ahead to Elections
Former Deputy Premier Dr. Kedrick Pickering was identified as part of the National Democratic Party’s (NDP) core leadership as former interim chairman John Cline moved to reassure the public about the party’s stability following its April 18 convention and recent internal tensions.
Speaking during a live Facebook broadcast on April 23, Cline dismissed suggestions that the party was fracturing after concerns raised by Mark Vanterpool, who questioned the delegate selection process and later distanced himself from the organization.
“The party is not breaking up — the core is strong,” Cline said.
Cline specifically referenced Pickering while outlining the party’s leadership base, stating, “You know Kedrick Pickering’s stability,” as he pointed to individuals he said had demonstrated consistent service and commitment to the territory.
The remarks placed Pickering among a group of senior figures Cline said the public could rely on, alongside Marlon A. Penn, Ronnie W. Skelton, Myron V. Walwyn and Melvin Mitch Turnbull.
Cline said the party remained focused on unity despite recent developments.
“You may have one person leaving, but that does not define the NDP,” he said. “Let the fringes fall off — the foundation remains.”
Pickering, a former Seventh District representative and deputy premier, has not been at the forefront of recent elections but remains a senior figure within the party, having served during previous NDP administrations when the party held government.
The NDP, founded in 1998, has been one of the territory’s main political parties and has alternated between government and opposition over the past two decades. The party is now seeking to strengthen its organization ahead of the next general election.
Cline said the party would continue to engage the public as it prepares its slate of candidates.
“We are going to offer a strong team,” he said. “We will give you a reason to trust us again.”
The party has not formally announced Pickering’s return to frontline politics, but Cline’s remarks indicate that he remains part of the NDP’s core group as it moves toward the 2027 election cycle.
Elections 2023
NDP Rejects Break-Up Claims, Cline Says “The Core Is Strong” After Internal Dispute
John Cline, former interim chairman of the National Democratic Party (NDP), said the party remains unified following internal tensions after its April 18 leadership convention, rejecting suggestions that the organization is fracturing after concerns raised by Mark Vanterpool.
“The party is not breaking up — the core is strong,” Cline said during a live facebook address today April 23, following the convention. “You may have one person leaving, but that does not define the NDP.”
Cline said the dispute reflects the actions of an individual rather than a broader division within the party.
“Let the fringes fall off — the foundation remains,” he said, emphasizing that the party’s leadership and structure remain intact.
The National Democratic Party, founded in 1998, has been one of the two dominant political parties in the British Virgin Islands and has alternated between government and opposition over the past two decades. The party last held office after the 2015 general election but has since operated in opposition following electoral losses in 2019 and 2023.
Cline acknowledged that the party has experienced internal differences but said those issues do not undermine its overall direction.
“We are going to offer a strong team,” he said, referring to preparations for the next general election. “The core of the party is strong.”
The April 18 convention marked a key step for the NDP as it formalized its leadership ahead of the 2027 election cycle.
Cline said the party would continue engaging the public and outlining its plans in the coming months.
“We will give you a reason to trust us again,” he said.
Despite the recent dispute, NDP officials have maintained that the organization remains stable and focused on its long-term political strategy.
ADVERTISEMENT:

-
Local News12 hours agoEast Winds Take Top Spot in BVIFA Under-14 Youth League After Week 3
-
Crime/Police11 hours agoSmall Brent” Wanted in VI Murder Case Now Named in Sint Maarten Double Homicide Probe
-
Health11 hours agoBVI Monitors Cruise Ship Hantavirus Outbreak; Health Minister Says Local Risk Remains Low
-
Local News11 hours agoMan Seriously Injured in Two-Vehicle Crash at Sea Cows Bay
-
Entertainment11 hours ago64 Nominees Announced for 2026 Virgin Islands Icon Awards
-
Education11 hours agoTVET Week 2026 Highlights Skills Training as Key to BVI’s Future
-
Local News11 hours agoWinston Bolus League Opens With Wins for Relentless and Run It Up
-
Local News11 hours agoNick Spizzirri Wins EMCs Tortola Classics Title After Five-Game Final












