NEWS
Connect with us

Business

Virgin Queen Restaurant closes

Published

on

Logo for Virgin Queen Restaurant

By MERRICK ANDREWS, Online News Editor

(JTV News) —
Road Town restaurant, Virgin Queen Restaurant and Pub, has announced it will close from February 25, 2023, until further notice.

In a press release, the restaurant, located on Fleming Street, thanked its customers and said it will re-open, “hopefully”, in the near future.

Here is the full statement:

“First, we would like to thank all our customers for the continued support you have shown us over the years, it has been an absolute pleasure doing business with each and every one.

“However, this establishment will be closed from the 25th of February until further notice. We would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused nonetheless.

“We wish to thank you all again for your patronage and your value as our customers, and by God grace we hope to interact with you all again in the near future.”

According to its official Facebook page, the restaurant has been in operation for over 40 years.

“With Over 40 years in operation, Virgin Queen Restaurant have a warm atmosphere for family dining,” its page reads.

Business

Unite BVI Expands Impact Challenge Fund to $250,000 for Entrepreneurs

Published

on

By

Unite BVI has increased the funding available through its 2026 Impact Challenge entrepreneurship competition to $250,000, following the addition of a new donor, and is inviting Virgin Islands entrepreneurs to apply for grants supporting businesses that address environmental challenges while creating economic opportunities.

Lauren Keil, Programme Manager of the VI Purpose Fund, announced the funding increase during an appearance on The Morning Facts with Cindy Rosan, revealing that the competition’s prize pool has grown from the previously announced $200,000.

“In fact, I’m excited to announce we actually just recently had a new donor come to the table and say, ‘We love this program, we want to put $50,000 additionally on the table,’” Keil said. “So we now have $250,000 to give out. This is the first time we’re publicly announcing it.”

The Impact Challenge is a flagship initiative of the VI Purpose Fund, which supports Virgin Islands entrepreneurs developing businesses that promote environmental sustainability while strengthening the local economy. The program is entering its second year after supporting two winning ventures in 2025 — BlockWorks VI and Report the Reef.

Keil said this year’s competition focuses on projects that contribute to ocean health and environmental resilience, but stressed that eligibility extends beyond businesses operating directly on the water.

“Before you think, ‘Oh, my business isn’t directly related to the ocean,’ there are so many land-based businesses that affect the ocean’s health,” she said.

The challenge is seeking applications in six priority areas, including sustainable fisheries, food sovereignty, carbon reduction, sargassum management, recycling and circular economy initiatives.

“Any business that is replacing a product that we import regularly with a locally manufactured product has a reduction of carbon emissions linked to it,” Keil said. “Any farming business that is really building our resilience and making us a stronger food sovereign nation is also eligible.”

She added that entrepreneurs developing solutions for sargassum seaweed blooms are encouraged to apply.

VI Purpose Fund

“We all know the problems of sargassum seaweed blooms that we receive, but there are entrepreneurs in other countries that have found viable business solutions to sargassum problems,” Keil said.

According to Unite BVI, businesses addressing sustainable fisheries, regenerative aquaculture, ocean-linked food production, marine restoration, waste reduction, recycling and import substitution are among those being targeted through the competition.

Applications opened on April 2 and will remain open until June 10. Keil said entrepreneurs do not need a trade licence when submitting their initial application but must obtain one before advancing to the final stages of the competition.

“We encourage entrepreneurs who don’t have trade licences but want to apply, please apply for your trade licence,” she said.

Last year’s inaugural challenge attracted 47 applications.

“We had 47 applications last year, which for an inaugural business competition we thought was really great,” Keil said. “This year we’re hoping for three or four times that. That is the dream, and we have a lot of interest.”

The selection process will narrow applicants to six finalists who will pitch their business ideas before judges including Sir Richard Branson and Rick Kearney.

“The judges can choose to give all $250,000 to one outstanding entrepreneur or divide it among multiple businesses, depending on the strength of the applications,” Keil explained.

In addition to funding, successful applicants will receive a year of business incubation and acceleration support.

“At Unite BVI, we commit to the winners of the Impact Challenge by giving them a full year of business incubation and acceleration support services,” Keil said. “We build a bespoke team around them to really support them and give them every chance to succeed.”

The VI Purpose Fund was established to support businesses that strengthen economic resilience while protecting the Virgin Islands’ natural environment. Unite BVI officials have said the initiative is designed to encourage local innovation and develop solutions with both environmental and commercial benefits.

Continue Reading

Business

Vanterpool Defends Cruise Pier Project, Proposes Hotel Expansion at Waterfront

Published

on

By

Former Communications and Works Minister Mark Vanterpool has defended the Cruise Pier Development Project against longstanding criticism, arguing that the facility delivered economic benefits and value for money while proposing a new phase of waterfront development that could include hotel towers near the cruise pier.

Speaking on The Morning Facts with Cindy Rosan on May 21, Vanterpool said the project, which was developed during his tenure as minister responsible for ports, has proven its worth through increased visitor arrivals, economic activity and revenue generation.

“The port got value for money,” Vanterpool said, citing independent evaluations conducted after construction was completed.

The Cruise Pier Development Project, which opened in 2015, expanded the territory’s capacity to accommodate large cruise ships and included the construction of the Tortola Pier Park commercial complex. The project became one of the most debated public infrastructure developments in Virgin Islands history after its cost rose beyond original estimates and questions were raised about procurement and oversight.

Vanterpool rejected suggestions that the project failed to justify its final cost, arguing that changes made during construction were necessary to create a more resilient and functional facility.

According to Vanterpool, the original proposal would not have adequately accommodated modern cruise vessels and included structures that would have been less resistant to hurricanes. He said the decision was made to redesign elements of the project, including constructing reinforced concrete and steel buildings and expanding docking capacity.

“We decided we were going to build a dock that can hold two ships that are there now,” he said.

Vanterpool said independent assessments commissioned after completion concluded that the project represented value for money and generated substantial economic returns for the Territory through tourism-related spending.

“The estimated benefit to the territory in terms of gross domestic product was over $100 million that the cruise pier would produce every year,” he said.

He also noted that the financing used to construct the facility is nearing repayment.

“I am very pleased with the cruise pier,” Vanterpool said.

While defending the development, Vanterpool argued that additional investment is needed to maximize the potential of the waterfront district. He revealed that he recently discussed new development concepts for the area, including the possibility of constructing hotel accommodations near the cruise pier.

Among the ideas he said have been proposed is a twin-tower hotel development on opposite sides of the waterfront, including one tower near the cruise pier and another in the Village Cay area.

“I prefer to build eventually what they call a tower hotel,” Vanterpool said, adding that he recently shared the concept with officials involved in discussions about the future of the area.

The proposal, he said, would build on existing tourism infrastructure and create additional accommodations within walking distance of the cruise terminal and Road Town’s commercial district.

Vanterpool said the Cruise Pier Development Project should ultimately be evaluated by its long-term economic contribution to the Virgin Islands rather than the political controversy that surrounded its construction.

“Are the constituents of the territory, the residents, benefiting economically from it? Yes,” he said. “The loan that we borrowed to build it is almost finished, and the territory continues to benefit from it.”

Continue Reading

Business

Skelton Cline Calls for Fuel Price Stabilization Measures as Costs Continue to Rise

Published

on

By

Rising fuel prices are placing increasing pressure on households and businesses in the Virgin Islands, prompting commentator Claude Skelton Cline to call on the government to consider using reserve funds to stabilize fuel costs and reduce the impact on consumers.

Speaking on his Honestly Speaking radio programme on May 19, Skelton Cline said the territory should explore mechanisms to lock in fuel prices amid continued volatility in global energy markets and mounting concerns over the cost of living.

“There’s no reason why we should not be locking in fuel prices,” Skelton Cline said. “We have $120 million in reserve.”

His comments come as residents continue to face higher electricity bills, fuel surcharges and transportation costs, issues he said are affecting families, businesses and the broader economy.

Skelton Cline acknowledged the government’s recent decision to allocate funding to help offset electricity costs but questioned whether additional measures may be needed to shield consumers from future increases.

“There’s going to be a serious monopoly and a further suffocation of this country,” he said while discussing fuel supply and pricing concerns. “We have to start planning. This thing is going to get more and more out of hand.”

The radio host argued that reserve funds could potentially be used to secure more predictable fuel pricing arrangements, although he did not outline a specific policy proposal. He suggested that government officials begin discussions on contingency plans before economic pressures worsen.

“We need to begin to think and talk and lay out a plan,” Skelton Cline said. “The most dangerous place for you to be is to be unprepared.”

The Virgin Islands remains heavily dependent on imported fuel and energy supplies, making the territory vulnerable to fluctuations in global oil prices and shipping costs. Higher fuel prices have also contributed to increased operating expenses for businesses and higher utility bills for consumers.

Skelton Cline said the territory’s dependence on imports leaves residents exposed to external economic shocks and called for greater long-term planning to strengthen economic resilience.

“How many times do I have to come to this microphone and say it?” he asked. “The most dangerous position for a person, a family, a community or a country is to be unprepared.”

Continue Reading

Trending