Local News
BVI Awaits Governor’s Response to EZ Shipping’s Complaint Over Press Conference Statements

Governor John Rankin
Residents of the British Virgin Islands are anticipating Governor John Rankin’s response to a complaint filed by local businessman Clyde Chalwell with the United Kingdom (UK) Secretary of State for Foreign, Commonwealth, and Development Affairs Office pertaining to statements made during a press conference in March.
Less than two months before his departure in December from the position of governor, Rankin found himself the subject of an official complaint filed by the owner of EZ Shipping through Stokoe Partnership Solicitors.
In the October 13 letter to the United Kingdom (UK) Secretary of State for Foreign, Commonwealth, and Development Affairs Office James Cleverly, Chalwell’s legal team highlighted two troubling statements made by Rankin when questioned by the media about the territory’s Covid-19 security measures during a March 3.
“I leave others to speculate as to why the former Premier might have been so opposed to what was the deployment of the more effective method for deterring activity in the waters,” the Governor said regarding the former Premier Andrew Fahie choosing EZ Shipping over the UK Navy ship to secure the territory’s waters.
Chalwell’s legal firm highlighted that “this statement is a deliberate attempt to insinuate misconduct on behalf of our client” given the fact that former Premier Fahie had been arrested by United States federal agents and charged with money laundering and drug trafficking.
The company was paid $1.2 million by the government, and according to Chalwell attorneys, the EZ Shipping report had been sent to the DPP and Police “to assess whether any offences were committed according to the contracts.
Additionally, on the effectiveness of the barges provided by EZ Shipping as a security defence, the Governor Rankin said: “I was frankly immediately unconvinced as to their effectiveness.”
“This comment amounts to the Governor giving evidence of his opinion in a press conference when the subject matter he opines has been referred to the relevant authorities for investigation into potential civil recovery proceedings and/or criminal; prosecution,” highlights Chalwell’s legal firm.
The attorneys stressed that “this comment was entirely inappropriate and represented the Governor descending into the arena when it was not his place to do so.”
Following the publication of the letter’s contents by the local press this week, Governor Rankin has refrained from providing an official comment on the allegations.
Concluding his term as the territory’s Governor, which began in January 2021, the seasoned diplomat plans to retire from diplomatic service in December.
He has spent his tenure diligently supervising the government’s implementation of the recommendations arising from the Commission of Inquiry, initiated in January 2021 by former Governor Gus Jaspert.
On April 4, 2022, Commissioner Sir Gary Hickinbottom submitted his comprehensive 946-page findings from the CoI, revealing instances of corruption in government, abuse of office, and other serious dishonesty within public office in recent years.
Following the arrest and subsequent resignation of Premier Fahie, party and independent politicians united to form a coalition government, preventing the UK from suspending the BVI’s constitution for two years.
This arrangement also provided residents with the opportunity to rebuild their trust in the government before the 2023 general elections, leading to the reappointment of Natalio Whealtkey as premier.
Rankin will be succeeded as the Governor by Daniel Pruce, who will assume the position in January 2024.

ADVERTISEMENT

Local News
Rising Costs Will Intensify, Skelton Cline Warns as He Suggests Emergency Measures

Entertainment
64 Nominees Announced for 2026 Virgin Islands Icon Awards
The Virgin Islands Icon Awards has announced 64 nominees across 13 categories for its 2026 ceremony, recognizing individuals and organizations for contributions in fields including sports, entrepreneurship, media, music, agriculture and public service, founder and executive producer Kareem Nelson Hull said.
The Virgin Islands Icon Awards was established to recognize individuals and organizations that have made significant contributions to the social, cultural and economic development of the Territory.

Health
BVI Monitors Cruise Ship Hantavirus Outbreak; Health Minister Says Local Risk Remains Low
The Ministry of Health and Social Development is monitoring an outbreak of hantavirus linked to the cruise ship MV Hondius that has resulted in several confirmed cases and three deaths, but Honourable Vincent O. Wheatley, Minister for Health and Social Development, and Dr. Ronald Georges, Chief Medical Officer, said Monday that the risk to the Virgin Islands remains low.
The ministry said the reported cases involve passengers and crew aboard the Dutch expedition vessel, which was operating outside the Caribbean region. Health officials said there is no evidence of any cases in the Virgin Islands or elsewhere in the Caribbean.
Honourable Wheatley said the ministry is working with regional and international partners, including the Caribbean Public Health Agency (CARPHA), to monitor the situation and strengthen surveillance systems.
“At this time, the risk to the Caribbean, including the Virgin Islands, is considered low,” Dr. Georges said. “We are utilizing enhanced surveillance systems and maintaining routine port health inspections and preparedness protocols to ensure the continued protection of public health.”
Hantavirus is a rare but potentially serious disease that is primarily transmitted through contact with infected rodents or their droppings, urine or saliva. Human-to-human transmission is extremely uncommon.
The ministry said the rodent species typically associated with the virus are not commonly found in Caribbean environments, further reducing the likelihood of local transmission.
Residents are advised to avoid contact with rodents and areas where they may be present, safely clean and disinfect areas contaminated by rodent waste, maintain proper sanitation and waste disposal, and seek medical attention if they experience symptoms such as fever or respiratory distress.
Early symptoms of hantavirus can resemble the flu but may progress to more serious respiratory complications if not treated promptly.
“We will continue to work closely with regional and international partners to ensure that any potential risks are identified early and managed effectively,” Dr. Georges said. “Protecting the health and safety of our residents remains our top priority.”
The Ministry of Health and Social Development said it will continue to monitor the situation and provide updates as necessary.
-
Local News12 hours agoEast Winds Take Top Spot in BVIFA Under-14 Youth League After Week 3
-
Crime/Police11 hours agoSmall Brent” Wanted in VI Murder Case Now Named in Sint Maarten Double Homicide Probe
-
Health11 hours agoBVI Monitors Cruise Ship Hantavirus Outbreak; Health Minister Says Local Risk Remains Low
-
Local News11 hours agoMan Seriously Injured in Two-Vehicle Crash at Sea Cows Bay
-
Entertainment11 hours ago64 Nominees Announced for 2026 Virgin Islands Icon Awards
-
Education11 hours agoTVET Week 2026 Highlights Skills Training as Key to BVI’s Future
-
Local News11 hours agoWinston Bolus League Opens With Wins for Relentless and Run It Up
-
Local News11 hours agoNick Spizzirri Wins EMCs Tortola Classics Title After Five-Game Final












