Uncategorized

City Takes Action on Craft Alive Rent Arrears

Published

on

Photo: City Manager, Mrs Janice Braithwaite-Edwards. Photo: BVI News

Nearly 15 vendors at Craft Alive Village found themselves locked out of their businesses this morning April 1 for overdue rent — some balances stretching back years and topping $10,000. The lockout follows months of warnings from the city, with officials saying tenants had been given ample opportunity to settle their debts.

“We locked them out because we had written to them since February this year, advising them that they needed to make some sort of movement on their outstanding balances,” said City Manager Janice Braithwaite-Edwards in an interview with JTV. “Unfortunately, the movement that was made by some people was not enough.”

Braithwaite-Edwards explained that some tenants had attempted to make payments, but the amounts were insufficient to sustain their businesses in the long term. She stressed that the goal was not eviction but financial accountability.

“We needed to ensure that they paid something a little bit more substantial than they have been paying,” she said.

The city’s decision, while controversial, appears to have had an immediate effect.

“Today, we had quite a few tenants come to the office because, based on the fact that they were locked out, they could not do business. And so, therefore, they made the necessary amendments so they could reopen their shops,” Braithwaite-Edwards noted.

Vendors were reportedly asked to sign agreements committing to continued payments until their debts were completely cleared.

The lockout is the latest chapter in a long-standing struggle at Craft Alive. Vendors have voiced frustrations over declining foot traffic and changing tourism patterns since the development of the nearby Cyril B. Romney Tortola Pier Park. Many argue that the government has done little to redirect visitors to the village, leaving them at an economic disadvantage.

Back in 2016, then-Communications and Works Minister Mark Vanterpool revealed in the House of Assembly that rental collections at Craft Alive had been dismal. During a two-month period, only $29,140 was collected out of a total $192,150 owed. At the time, nearly every business at the village was behind on payments.

Efforts to boost foot traffic have included proposals for a boardwalk linking the Pier Park to Craft Alive, but progress has been slow. Meanwhile, vendors say they continue to struggle.

The city manager hinted that further actions may be taken if vendors fail to remain compliant.

“If we are not satisfied, then during the middle of April, we may be called to do something similar,” she warned.

For now, those vendors who have made payments will be allowed back into their stalls. But with Craft Alive’s financial woes stretching back years, today’s lockout serves as a stark reminder that, for some, time may be running out.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending

Exit mobile version